Thursday, January 19, 2012

Never a Dull Moment in Cuenca

Today has been very busy!  I woke up of course a bad hair day and in Ecuador a bad hair day is EPIC because you should always look nice.  For breakfast my mom switched it up and with bananas, I got Melon!  The fruit juice was much better than the tomatoe arbol one.  After breakfast I was off to class!  I have decided since I get so many cat calls, being blonde I will ignore everyone except for the men in uniform lol.  There are a lot of police officers on my way to school and they are VERY friendly.  (Like mother, like daughter)  In my biology class we are talking about the different ecosystems in the Andes.  I told my teacher it was the first biology class I have been interested in!  She loves my topic idea so much for my investigation project that she is lending me one of her books.  In Ecuador I feel confident enough to answer questions and participate in class.  After class I went to a coffee shop with my partner and we completed our presentation.  This is a gring-friendly coffee shop.  It plays American music and the television plays ESPN!  Of course I can't study without a snack so we ordered food!  My partner got these giant crepes filled with fruit and I ordered a cheescake with strawberries.  After we went to test out the ATM with our cards.  In Ecuador I am a minority and it is interesting taking in how minorities may feel in Iowa or the States.  It can be overwhelming!  After we went shopping because we are all going out the Disco-clubs tomorrow night.  I ended up buying a latino style amazing dress for $6!  Now all I need is heels!  I then met up with other girls and we went to a market which had fruits, meats, and various things.  On our walk back to the school, I got hit my a water balloon!  They must have been practicing for Carnaval, which wasn't necessary because he had perfect aim of my ass!  Of course I would be the one to get hit!  Its okay I didn't melt.  Kim walked with me back to my house and when we arrived at my house some guy in his 30s came over and started hitting on us!  It is very different than Iowa.  He was from New Jersey but was clearly Latino.  He talked to us in English and even gave Kim his number, Since I'm blonde I have no memory, he wanted us to call him so he could show us around! Ha sorry man your a little old, but he was nice and we said our goodbyes, which in Ecuador is a kiss on cheek.  I bought my mom orange and yellow roses today and she enjoyed them!  I studied up on my spanish words and was called in for dinner!  Must have been a miscommunication at Lunch because I tought I said I was full not used to have a big lunch, my mom must have thought I wanted more at dinner.  So for dinner I had beef stew like and another cheesy cornbread thing and noodle egg thing from lunch.  I don't remember being this full for a long especially from food I' not allergic to.  After dinner I could think of the word blanket in spanish so I was asking my mom for another movement of blanket and then in my bed at night and she quickly understood after the embarrassing movement of blanket!  Well I got my blanket and I am happy!  Hopefully more stories tomorrow abotu the disco club!  Chau! 

No comments:

Post a Comment