Thursday, January 26, 2012

Take Two

Well so far my Ecuador Experience has turned into a Ecuador Hospital Experience.  Monday morning writing my blog I felt fine!  I walked to class and in environmental studies I started feeling nascious, then I got sick again during a meeting about the week activities.  I went and talked to a coordinator and how unusual it is for me to be this sick again!  I went to half of my spanish class and was sent to the Doctor (gastro specialist).  He looked me over and immediately sent me to get blood work done!  That was enought to make me sick once again.  I took a taxi back to my house to rest until the results were in.  Turns out my white blood cell level was more than double what it should be.  Dr. was worried that my appendix burst or something happened inside so I had to go get an ultra-sound.  They found that my colon was enlarged.  No big deal right?  How bad could it be?  Well took the results back to the doctor and he immediately admitted me into the hospital.  My room was nice, hardwood floors, closet, nice green leather sofa sleeper, a view that took my breath away and my bed for the next three days.  The nurse came in to stick me with an IV.  Finding a vein on my tiny wrist was difficult for her.  Since coming to Ecuador I have lost 15lbs so far prlly just from being sick.  After the IV was in  I started loosing my place and the coordinator held my head, the room went white and I had passed at but at the smae time I was managing to vomit.  After I was awake I felt melt much.  It was scary because it has never happened to me before.  Not only was I in a spanish speaking hospital I was sick and needed to know what was happening to me.  The first day in I pretty much just slept and got used to being one handed.  The next night and day was interesting some nurse would come in at 12am, 2am, 5am, and I had no idea what was going on, I was only slightly awake when they would take my pulse, check my temp, etc.  One morning at 5am some lady was drawing more blood.  I tried to ask her was these tests were for and she replied with they are to be examined for results, I obviously knew that.  oh well I didn't care I was exhausted.  I think I made friends with an old guy who only mumbled but in spanish, try understanding that, I just laughed when he did.  The rest of my trip in the hospital consisted of watching HBO with spanish subtitles, sleeping, and eating nasty food.  My mom tried one of my juices to see if I was not thirsty or really just didn't like it.  She didn't like it, her face was hilarious!  My mom came to visit me twice a day and she called me numerous times.  One of the coordinators was also always there, I was in good hands.  The doctor came in Wednesday morning and said I was going to go home today!  I was so happy, I just wanted ice cream and out of that hospital.  The nurse came in before lunch and told me I couldn't go home because I wasn't eating which didn't make since.  They just got enterainment out of the gringa.  So my mom and Lisa came to the hospital and got my ass out of there.  It was hilarious I have an awesome mom in Ecuador and of course one back home.  The Dr. doesn't really know what keeps happening to me bacause he thinks it could be a intestinal infection but I didn't have a fever and had no parasites or amebas and Usually you only get that once and I haven't ate or drank anything from the markets or anywhere not safe.  There are a few other explanations that could be possibilities, so I have to go back on Monday get more blood, another ultra-sound and possibly more tests if my stomach still hurts.  Should be fun!  As of right now I need to play catch up again, I am mostly caught up with my classes but I like to be ahead of the game because you never know what can happen.  Mom's always right Reed!  Even though I had a little side journey in my adventure, I'm not going to let that get me down.  Everything is meant for a reason!  Chau, Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment