Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I found another Angel

Last night was crazy!  I went to the group home and it was much better than what I expected for Ecuador.    After I went home for awhile and worked on some homework.  I decided to go to Casa de Mujer for the third time to see if I could find the guys shop.  I was starting to get paranoid that I had put a $20 deposit down and was unable to get my mom's gift.  The guy was open when I went in ans it was awesome.  He showed it to me and he did an excellent job!  I hope she likes it as much as I do or I guess I can always keep it for myself.  Then I thought I would stop in to the chocolate store and see if I could meet the family of the girl with prader-willi syndrome.  I was able to meet the mom immediately and her uncle.  We talked for about fifteen minutes and then I had to go get my backpack because I went to get the whole repaired.  The guy only charged me $1 to fix it and last time he charged me dad $2 guess I fit in more now lol.  Then I ran back to the chocolate store because the young girl and her dad were coming in.  I had no idea what I was going to be walking into.  I walked in and there was this beautiful young girl standing no more than 5ft tall and 200 pounds.  I knew that had to be her.  I immediately introduced myself and the mom and dad and young girl all talked with me for about 2 hours.  The young girl was so unique and yet she reminded me of Tyler so much!  This young girl just wants to fit in, in a culture that don't understand dissabilities and believe she is just obese.  The girl told me about her two friends she had but get this they are imaginary!  She goes to a "normal" high school because in Ecuador there is no special education.  The parents told me they are terminatoring her from school after this year, and all I could advice was I think that she should stay in school.  I struggled a lot last night because I understood what to tell them from my situation but they are living in a third world country where no Doctors have heard about this syndrome.  The fact that no Doctor in the whole country of Ecuador has heard of Prader-willi syndrome disgusts me.  The family told me there were four people diagnosed with Prader-willi syndrome in Ecuador, which one died at the age of 23 because there are no resources available.  This family went to Mexico six years ago to try and get a diagnosis.  The young girl is now on Generaltropin and only at 1.3 which I don't think is enough, but I do not know her situation.  The young girl begged for a normal life and to fit in.  She was begging for love and affection, she was sitting next to me and she would just stare at me and tell me how pretty I was, she also would rest her head on me and give me kisses and hugs.  This young girl made my heart ache.  I want to to whatever I can to help her and her family, which is difficult because I am only here until Saturday.  Her dad talked to me the most, it was hard talking to him because he wanted answers and wanted to know the secrets to success.  This family had lost all hope before meeting me and thought she would be another statistic with Prader-willi syndrome that dies at such a young age.  The dad would ask me what my family does about food a number of times. I told him cabinets and doors had to be locked and whatever my brother ate is what we ate because his health and life was more important.  This is where they struggle because they have a three year old who always wants pizza and snacks, but if the food is out the the girl wants food as well.  I think it was easier for me because I was only allowed the same portions as my brother so there was no drama.  That is how it was my whole life and I understand how difficult it must be for this family.  This young girl has broke through doors to get food and is always talking about food.  The family asked me what they should do and I replied with keeping her occupied and away from food.  It has to be difficult especially in a chocolate store buisness.  This girl also skin picks like my brother.  She would show me them all.  Her speech is difficult to understand but she writes absolutely beautifully.  She like to make these chains for cell phones or bookbags.  They are little angels and she gave me two of them.  She told me one was for my brother and the other for myself.  I told her thanks and asked her if she would like me to come in and we could play on my IPAD.  She was so excited she gave me the sweetest hug.  She now had a friend for the rest of her life.  This young girl has made an impact in my life.  The family gave me a box of chocolates as well.  They offered to take me home and stay for dinner, but I politely declined because it was my sister's birthday.  We exchanged emails and numbers.  I went home in tears and skyped my mom because I was not expecting to walk into a situation with someone asking me for help.  If this little girl has no hope what are the other two kids in this country doing?  They need hope, answers, love, and help!  I am willing to do my part and I emailed National when I got home.  This made me realize how lucky I am to have Tyler in my life and how lucky I am to live in a country that has answers, because I can not even begin to imagine the struggles this family has gone through.  This has changed my Studying Abroad experience tremendously.  I know believe I am in the wrong field for a major, why am I not going into something medical life genetics and majoring in Spanish as well?  There is such a  need out there it hurts me to know that there are families that are unable to get help.  Thanks, Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment