Monday, April 2, 2012

Time flies

My eye is finally not swollen and I can put my contacts in!  What an interesting week.  Wednesday I had my education classes and spanish.  Spanish was a rough class because my teacher's mom died on Monday.  I felt really bad for her, becuase her mom lived with her and she talked about her a lot.  In the education classes we watched a movie about a class bringing awareness to racism and stereotypes.  The other class we talked about the philosophies of education.  Dr. R knew which theories I would fall into immediately and he was right for the most part.  I like a lot of structure, student discipline, portfolio assessments and there are personalities I have that fall into different categories.  For lunch I went with the girls.  They have done a weekly lunch every week but I just love my family and know the food would be good at home, so I haven't gone with them.  There is only 4 more Wednesdays left so I figured I should go with them.  We went to an authentic Ecuadorian restaurant.  We had a really good soup, then we had fried chicken, lentils, and rice.  Jugo de Pina and strawberries with sugar for dessert.  For $2 I thought it was a good meal!  After we went to a wooden market, which I will be returning to because it is so cool and a good idea for souvenirs.  Immediately I found these hand carved and designed pig salt and pepper shakers!  I had to get them!  They were perfect.  I don't know who will get those yet but I knew they would be perfect for someone.  I also bought these crayons that are made from a tree branch of Ecuador.  I have be waiting to get them for 1.50 or under but everywhere is 2.50 and more.  I finally found them for 1.50!  I was so excited.  After we went to get ice cream at a place very similar to Cold Stone.  They also have like 24 flavors of different alcohol flavors.  It was like a bar but with ice cream!  I got a banana split flavor.  I had real bananas and coconut in, so good!  Thursday I went out to the CEDEI school.  I loved the kindergartners and preschoolers!  It was awesome!  Thursday we also had a charla on Andean music.  It was very interesting all the different instruments they use and how they are made.  Friday I went for a run and was off to class.  Spanish class was very frustrating for me Friday because I wanted to move past the easy things and review more of the things I need when talking to my family.  Friday night we had dance class! After dance class we went to a little family restaurant it was like I was sitting in the kitchen at my great grandma's house.  We ordered a humita and seco de pollo.  So good!  So much food and only 2.50.  After we met up with the group that's here from Ohio University.  We went to a bar with them and then out to dance with them!  It was so much fun!  There was one guy I talked to most of the night about random things and of course baseball.  It was an early night I was home by 12.  Saturday morning we had ceramics class!  We hand waxed our pots and designed them.  I'm not kidding I had to use a rock to wax my bowl and then a utensil to design it.  I drew a flower in the inside of my little bowl.  After ceramics class my stomach was really upset again so I slept and read all day on Saturday.  My mom made me more cream of asparagus and mushroom soup with saltines and she left to go eat at the mall.  I was to sick to go.  Sunday we had horseback riding!  I was really excited until I saw my horse.  I looked bigger than my horse but I was willing to ride her.  The guide told me she doesn't like being kicked, she has a mind of her own, and she likes to keep her head down and pull the reins out of your hands.  Okay what could go wrong.  afterall I had my helmet ready.  I got on her with no problem and led her into the pen to go in circles. 
while  every other horse was waiting in the center for everyone. My horse had to walk I guess. She galloped into the pen and around in circles we went.  Well so enough we were off on our 2 and half hour trot.  My horse would go fast when I wanted her to slow and slow when I wanted her to go fast.  My horse took off.  She didn't like being in the back of the pack either and she would catch up if she started slowing down.  Also my horse just wanted to snack the whol ride.  Finally I let her have some grass.  Dr. R's horse was walking next to me and all of a sudden he jerked the reins or somethings and his horse turned its head, hit me and Almost knocked me off my horse.  Luckily my horse and I had this special connection and I grabbed around its neck and was hanging on for dear life.  In the meantime my horse started to get scared.  I was grabbing everything I could.  All I could think about was being dragged down the path with one leg hooked in the saddle and hanging upside down.  Thankfully that diddn't happen and I survived.  Later my horse had to catch up again and I think horses should have seatbelts on the saddles.  I was flying in the air off my saddle.  The girl behind me thought it was hilarious.  After horseback riding my horse got to eat as well as myself.  I had salchipapas, which is french fries and hotdogs, really good.  Then we milked cows.  I got to milk a cows utter.  That was interesting.  We headed back to Cuenca after that.  I finished homework and went to bed.  Monday morning I participated in equine therapy for the student with special needs.  It was really cool!  After we talked to the director about the special needs program in Ecuador and at the school.  As we were talking she knew a family who just found out their 10 year old daughter weighs 200 pounds has prader willi syndrome.  Lauri had never heard about it and they had to get a diagnosis in Mexico.  The family still thinks that it is just a mental problem.  I told her that my brother ahs that disability, told her some more information and she was going to do research.  I also told her I would like to meet the family and help out anyway I could.  I'm really excited especially when Lauri said that it would give the family hope that their daughter is okay and will be able to live!  I started to cry and I really hope the family agrees to meet me.  I wish I would have known about them sooner.  I went home and worked on homework.  My mom helped me with a little spanish and we had lunch.  Lunch was hilarious today becasue we had brocoli and only my mom and I eat it, but I don't think I have a choice.  After lunch I had spanish class.  After spanish I went home and relaxed.  I hope this week all works out because Wednesday night or Thursday I could possibly be going to the beach:) Chau amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment